Linda Grashoff's Photography Adventures

Cowshade for Ghosts

October 2, 2014

As I was wandering northern Ohio this weekend, I found this lone tree. I think I read somewhere that farmers would leave a tree like this in an open field so that the cows would have it for shade. Most farmers around here don’t keep cows any longer, but it seems that at least some farmers don’t have the heart to chop down these trees even though the only things they shelter now are corn and soybeans. Here’s another such loner.

Lone Tree 2

11 responses

1. Nice shot 🙂

October 2, 2014 at 6:34 AM

2. We are never alone, my friend. 😉 Peace and luvz, Uncle Tree

October 2, 2014 at 6:52 AM

3. I think the farmers leave the trees because it makes good subject material for photographers.

October 2, 2014 at 8:06 AM

• That would be awfully nice of them. Maybe that’s why they also don’t tear down the old barns and silos.

October 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM

4. Amazing that farmers do this, as they would save costs if the tree were not there. A flat, wide open field is cheaper to plant and harvest than one with obstacles like this one.

October 2, 2014 at 9:14 AM

5. It is amazing. I can only think that they, too, like the look of these lone trees. Or maybe they hold out hope to return to dairy farming someday.

October 2, 2014 at 9:17 AM

6. The simple beauty of an isolated tree. Lovely bucolic scene, Linda

October 4, 2014 at 7:01 AM

7. Thank you, Andy. I think these lone trees in a field will be a new series for me. Found another one driving around this morning.

October 4, 2014 at 12:00 PM

It's a pleasure to read your comments.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s