Linda Grashoff's Photography Adventures

A Dumpster in Madison

October 10, 2021

During the walk described in the last post, an interesting dumpster presented itself. Here are some of its details.

1 One end of the dumpster had a hole in the metal through which you could see an inside wall that had another hole.

5 This is a detail of #4.

12 responses

1. What a great set of pastel abstractions. If only all “dumpster diving” were this aesthetic.
    The longest vertical element in #11 looks almost botanical, a stalk of some sort.
    #7 surprises with its circular sweeps.

October 10, 2021 at 5:17 PM

• I thought the long vertical element in #11 had a bird-like quality—making me think of the resplendent quetzal. Isn’t it interesting the way the paint crazed in #7? I’ve seen circular patterns like this on other dumpster walls. I think they must use baked-on enamel rather than just plain paint. Regular paint doesn’t craze. At least not like this or like what is shown in #5 and others. Thanks for commenting, Steve.

October 10, 2021 at 7:15 PM

2. Kathleen Faught

Those are the images you capture like no one else! My kind of pix! Many thanks.

October 10, 2021 at 7:04 PM

• I’m glad you enjoy these, Kathy. I have to say that I am not the only person to photograph dumpsters. I may have photographed more than other people have, though. 😉

October 10, 2021 at 7:17 PM

3. Steve’s right about #11. I think #13 is almost luminous. Beautiful shot.

October 11, 2021 at 10:17 AM

• Thanks, Ken. If I don’t think about the object in #13 as the piece of blue adhesive plastic that it is, I can almost see it as inlaid turquoise.

Liked by 1 person

October 11, 2021 at 12:10 PM

4. A handsome collection Linda. I love a nice portrait of rust and the intriguing shapes and colors it presents. A few of these would look nice framed.

Liked by 1 person

October 11, 2021 at 10:53 AM

• Thank you, Joe. I love photographing rust. And it’s fun to think about the unintentional link between it and my favorite bacteria—those that breathe iron.

Liked by 1 person

October 11, 2021 at 12:16 PM

5. More dumpster coolness here, Linda. Who’d think it? I really like the zigzag in number three, the wizard’s hat in number 6 and the stained glass appearance in number 13. Number 11 looks like some sort of ancient writing.

Liked by 1 person

October 11, 2021 at 12:20 PM

• Oh, the wizard’s hat! I hadn’t noticed it. Stained glass in #13: yes I see it. And the writing in #11: I wonder what it says. Thanks, Steve.

Liked by 2 people

October 11, 2021 at 2:13 PM

6. I’m very behind on keeping up with your blog posts. I see your images pop up in my WordPress reader and because I like to give them time I think to myself I will go back when I have more to spare! Then of course I don’t because life happens😀 And what mad lives we are all living in right now!
    I hope all is well in your world.
    I have enjoyed this set of photographs. Some great colours and I like a lot of the marks that in part reveal something of the life of the dumpster. To my eye number 8 works best combining marks and colours to make a great abstract with a world of its own!
    Have a great weekend
    Best wishes
    Mr C
    ✨📷✨

October 15, 2021 at 3:49 PM

7. I don’t know if I’m just enjoying seeing a dumpster post after what seems a long time without one, or maybe this really is one of the best ones. 😉 Holy Dumpsters! The first photo is really curious – the way the metal you see from the hole goes out of focus gives it an otherworldly quality, next to the rest of the metal. Really wonderful! #2 is a handsome abstract dance of rust and paint. #5 is solid evidence of how carefully you look at these dumpster landscapes, analyzing every inch for its aesthetic potential. I really love #6. It makes me wonder, why would someone do that? Surely they did. I love it. #8 & 9 whisk us out to some outer galaxy. #10 once again feels like the human hand/mind played a part, though I could be persuaded otherwise. I like this one a lot. It has many elements that I feel I’ve seen in paintings, e.g. Miro (dark shape lower right with spindly “legs”). It could be a monoprint, it has that quality of something being pressed on and peeled off. #11 is beautiful, too. You knew exactly how to frame it – the part with the bump relates well to the scratches. The duck tape in #12 made me laugh. #13 again shows your expertise in finding the compositions on what must be a pretty big, complex surface. That blue and rust are very attractive! An absolute delight, Linda!

October 15, 2021 at 4:42 PM

It's a pleasure to read your comments.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s