Linda Grashoff's Photography Adventures

Hanging around the House

December 27, 2020

Today was a lovely sunny day and not even that cold out—38 degrees Fahrenheit at the moment. But I have not been keen to walk around outside with the camera lately. That’s the first point. The second point is that I have been looking at the September issue of ICM Photography Magazine and building my desire to do more ICM (intentional camera movement) photography myself. The third point is admiring the domestic photographs that Alan Goldsmith often posts on his blog. So this morning I walked around the house playing ICM. Here are my favorites of the haul.

18 responses

1. #6 almost looks like clouds. I like the graceful curves in #8. #11 comes across to me as a column of light. The bright yellow-orange in #12 is attractive. The last photograph reminds me of an abstract painting from the Synchromism art movement a century ago.

Liked by 1 person

December 27, 2020 at 9:20 PM

• I thought #6 looked like clouds, too. (It’s my unmade bed, the wall, and the bottom of a window.) I don’t remember what #8 is, and I don’t know what made the light in my kitchen in #11. I had to Google Synchromism; it’s an art movement I’d never heard of. But, yes, my image and the ones on my Google page have amazing similarities. Thanks for writing, Steve.

December 27, 2020 at 9:31 PM

2. Sue

Oh, what fun….you have a river in full flow, and an almost waterfall, and the abstract, painting in the last one!

December 28, 2020 at 3:36 AM

• It was fun, Sue. I’m glad you enjoyed these also. Thanks for letting me know.

December 28, 2020 at 2:22 PM

• Sue

Yes, a while since I have done ICM images…you might have inspired me!

Liked by 1 person

December 28, 2020 at 2:58 PM

3. Poetic and mysterious in the best possible way.

December 28, 2020 at 9:03 AM

4. The composition on all of these photos is outstanding, Linda. Your use of light and color is just beautiful. Nice work!

December 28, 2020 at 5:08 PM

• Thank you, Ken. As you know if you’ve done ICM yourself, these images take a lot of fooling around with before they look decent. It’s all fun, though, and I love the good surprises. I’m missing your photos.

December 28, 2020 at 5:44 PM

• I’ll bet you had fun “fooling around” with these. Beautiful job. I love the post-processing aspect of photography just as much as I love shooting. I hope to return to posting in the future so please stay tuned.

Liked by 2 people

December 28, 2020 at 6:08 PM

5. Great pictures, Linda – #1 is my favourite! 🙂

December 29, 2020 at 5:03 AM

• Thanks, Adrian. I still can’t figure out where all those colors in #1 came from. I guess that’s just part of the fun.

Liked by 1 person

December 29, 2020 at 5:56 PM

6. What a great way to spend housebound time, Linda. All are attractive. I didn’t know about the magazine, not that I do any ICM, but it is good to know about. Happy New Year!

December 30, 2020 at 3:44 AM

• I know I need to just get out there, but yeah, it’s great fun finding things indoors. Glad you like these, Steve. Happy New Year to you, too.

Liked by 1 person

December 30, 2020 at 3:01 PM

7. What a pleasant surprise! I hope you’re not kicking yourself now for not going out! Do you ever think about how different this final result is, and the process is, from much of your other work, like the iron bacteria or dumpsters? I’m curious to know how comfortable it is to hold these two very different techniques in your “mindworld.”

#1 is like a fully-realized symphony – it’s almost hard to look at another after that. But not that hard! 😉 #3 feels like a very modern architectural space. #5 feels gestural, maybe because of the way it rushes left to right, like writing. #6 puts me on a Lindblad cruise in the Antarctic. 🙂 And #7 is the iceberg. Judy Chicago would appreciate #10 – it could be a new setting for her Dinner Party. 😉 #11 looks like one of your rust photos in a dream state. And #13 is definitely New Year’s Eve – but not this year!! 😉 Impressive work, Linda!

Liked by 2 people

December 30, 2020 at 9:29 PM

8. These are such gorgeous images, Linda. And so colorful, so soft. though I quite like #10s structure, and as usual, your judicious use of non-traditional form-factors.

Wavelengths……I have been delving again into ICM as well….well, I was for a bit in October/November and it has been much on my mind lately. And Alan’s world is always a place of welcoming light, indeed.
    I always seem to think of ICM as an outdoor activity…..curious…..you have inspired me to look (and move!) about indoors…..

January 1, 2021 at 2:14 AM

It's a pleasure to read your comments.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s