Linda Grashoff's Photography Adventures

R2D2 1

November 29, 2014

The first time I go to Sarasota’s South Lido Park after being in Ohio in the summer I always check on a special stump. It’s a squat shape, truncated long before I ever saw it for the first time 10 years ago. It’s probably an old Australian pine, of which there are many in this park. Some have died natural deaths, and some have been removed forcibly because they don’t belong there, their invasion playing havoc with Florida’s natural vegetation. Because of its shape, I’ve named this stump R2D2; it reminds me of  the robot in the Star Wars movies. This year its coloring, though still subtle, seems more pronounced.

11212014 South Lido Park-28

10 responses

1. I think stumps like this one are underappreciated as good subjects for photographers. Now if you can find a C3PO, that would make a nice companion piece.

November 29, 2014 at 8:10 AM

• There is a taller stump that I also monitor that I’ve been calling “the Sentinal.” Harder to get an interesting photo of it, though. It’s so skinny that the background shows too much. Guess I could try an extreme crop. Stay tuned.

November 29, 2014 at 1:38 PM

2. bernhardtk@aol.com

Love it.

November 29, 2014 at 12:50 PM

• Thanks, Kathy. Two more shots of R2D2 to go in this round.

November 29, 2014 at 1:53 PM

3. vera ersilia

Beautiful shot that captures the endurance of nature.

November 30, 2014 at 6:24 AM

• Thank you for your thought, Vera. It helped set off a bevy of my own.

November 30, 2014 at 8:49 AM

• vera ersilia

You are so welcome. I try to convey what an image suggests to me. Yours are generally very ‘inspiring’. I see more than the beauty of them.

November 30, 2014 at 5:28 PM

• Vera, thank you. I’m so glad that you see more than beauty in my photographs, because they are about more than beauty. When you wrote Sunday, I was finishing a photo essay to submit to an online journal. Here is what I wrote Sunday, an expansion on what I had already written:

“I photograph to affirm, honor, and praise what lies before me. I celebrate the sheer fact of corporeality. Raised by parents who believed that the material world does not exist, early on I disagreed. Taking photographs is the most satisfying means I know to advance my belief in physical existence.

“Considering the material world sacred, I try to reveal my reverence for it in my work. In this way my photographs are prayers. They also cherish a moment for me so that later I can enjoy a longer time contemplating it. I capture images not only for my own enjoyment, though, but also with hope that they will help other viewers look at their own surroundings with increased awareness, respect, and enjoyment of what they previously may have deemed unremarkable.”

December 4, 2014 at 2:02 PM

4. vera ersilia

Linda, I took down what you wrote, but I consider it copyrighted – it is a wonderful statement of intent as well as a photographer’s philosophy.

December 4, 2014 at 6:11 PM

5. Thank you, Vera. I’m pleased that it touched you enough to want to write it down.

December 4, 2014 at 7:26 PM

It's a pleasure to read your comments.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s